Thursday, January 10, 2008

Back in the saddle again

First post of 2008, so I'll start off with a Happy New Year!

The past two weeks have been busy but fantastic. I wrapped up my trip to Canada with a few good workouts and some time with friends. New Years was awesome as always. A little less insane than usual (which doesn't take much) but still a very good time. One picture from the night... with me in surprisingly good form and my buddy Duncan on his way to being "drunken Duncan."

Had a great first two weeks back in the City. Been riding my new Kreitler 3.0" rollers a bunch and it has definitely improved my spinning and the quality of my pedal stroke. For those who don't know what rollers are, they're like a self-powered treadmill for your bike. The challenge comes in balancing yourself and not varying your path more than 6 inches in each direction. I don't have a picture of me on my set yet, so I've just included a random Google image search so you can take a look.
Anyway, it took some practice riding between a wall and a treadmill and bouncing back-and-forth like a bowling ball in a lane with bumpers, but I think I have the hang of it now. At this point, I can ride with just a wall or chair on one side to get started and can put down an hour no problemo.

That said, the weather has been so fantastic the past three days that I just had to get outside. Put down two 5 AM rides in the Park and a few nice runs along the eastside. Fantastic! However, looks like we're headed back for winter -- the ride this morning was a little cold -- so I imagine I'll be back on my Kreitlers in no time!

In the world of fun, my buddies all had friends in from out of town this past weekend. Highlights included:
- going to the Met and the Museum of Natural History (probably good since we all pay NYC rent and never take advantage of the City's amenities)
- a party that was nearly 85% dudes and basically turned into a massive frat/drinking game event
- trying to ride my rollers at said party... and not hurting myself by some miracle
- a two-guy competition to prove their love for my buddy Clarke's visting lady friend: who can burn their hand the worst with a cigarette lighter

Well that's about it for now.

No comments: