Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Ocean Drive

Having been light on training since the Half in Montauk, I'm starting to notice small indications of fitness loss. In general, I can still get out there and put down 3.5 hours on the bike no problem. The long runs aren't rough and I'm actually doing quite well in the pool. That said, I went out this weekend to throw down some quick milers on the track and found that I've definitely lost speed... When it comes to hilly rides, I'm not hammering as hard as I did in September. And, of course, I've put on some weight. As my friend/mentor Nick reminds me, this is all part of the off-season. You can't be 100% one hundred percent of the time.

That said, it's time to start digging in and getting those miles in. Since winter training can be tough on the spirit, I'm setting my sights on the Ocean Drive Marathon for motivation. Starting this weekend, I'm going to start focusing more on the run and lightening up my rides. I'll keep my pool time as usual. Here's my plan for my long runs:
Dec 15 - Jan 11: 4 x 12-15 milers (1 per week)
Jan 12 - Feb 8: 4 x 18 milers
Feb 9 - Mar 7: 20, 22, 20, 22
Mar 8 - race day: 20, 13, 6, race!

Well that's the plan... Now I just have to follow through!

No comments: