Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Blasts from the past...

So this week has been full of blasts from the past.

Spent the weekend hanging out with friends, including a good buddy, JC, who's in town on break from his PhD at UCSF. We all had an absolutely killer time on Saturday night doing a pub crawl. Actually, considering the crowd we had, it was a relatively uneventful evening (and I mean that in the good sense). The biggest drama came from trying to get Erin home through the snow in her high heels. In the end, we gave up and took at cab the final 3 blocks.

Lately, I've transitioned from heavy riding to running (both because my marathon is coming up and because the rollers I ordered haven't shipped yet). So, it was a real treat having JC around. Put down 12 miles on Saturday and then went for a `fun' get-through-your-hangover-in-one-hour run on Sunday.

Also in the fitness area, I've started lifting a little for the first time in about 5 months. Using it to add a little variety to my winter base training. I'm currently working on completing the so-called Marine Corps Challenge. Sets of pull-ups, push-ups and sit-ups in a ratio of 1:3:4. It's a pyramid that goes something like this:
3 pull, 9 push, 12 sit
4 pull, 12 push, 16 sit
5 pull, 15 push, 20 sit
...
9 pull, 27 push, 36 sit
8 pull, 24 push, 32 sit
...
3 pull, 9 push, 12 sit

The benefits of it are that it targets muscle groups that I use a lot in my three events and it's a bad-ass high-rep and (if I don't get too fat over Christmas) low-weight regime. Also, after having accidentally made out with a girl who may or may not have turned out to have a boyfriend who may or may not be a professional athlete, I may (but hopefully may not) be calling on this strength before the 2008 season begins...

Tonight I'm off to hang out with more buddies from out of town and then I'm headed home Saturday. After four really rough weeks at work, the past few days have been absolutely awesome. I've had great times with friends and managed to get a lot of good workouts in. Can't wait for more of this holiday fun!

No comments: